Saturday, January 20, 2007

Bed-side manners / "The Lord's work"

My dad has really good bed-side manners. (He's a doctor.)
I've worked in hospitals. I've seen many doctors' bedside manners. He has the best.
I told him so. I think he liked that.
Today he and I did rounds at the hospital together, and he told me that when he cares for people as people rather than as patients, they get better and they're happier doing it. They are more confident in the usefulness of his care.
I'm proud of my dad. I think he is one of the best doctors in the world.

Later on the same day dad and I were reading a book called "The Rest of God." The author wrote about the story where Jesus told his disciples to throw their nets in to catch fish. They said that they'd been at it all night and that it stunk, but that they'll throw in the nets anyway. They got a mother-load of fish -in the middle of the day! So, this guy's point was that "the Lord's work" is whatever you have to do, for God -at His direction. If you are going to fish, do it as unto God, if you are going to preach, do that the same way. Jesus washed the disciples' feet. That was work, and it was definitely God's work even though it was "bottom of the totem pole" labor.

While we were reading I thought of our conversation earlier and realized that dad is doing "the Lord's work" inside the hospital every day. He's doing what is given him to do as from God, with God, and for God. I want to be like that in every work I do, no matter how simple or big.

-Yore Truly

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home